From the 1st October 2018 new legislation was introduced stating that all properties rented out to five or more people, not from one family, must have a HMO licence.
Use this form to apply for a licence for a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO).
For more information about making this application or HMO licensing standards, visit our
HMO Licensing webpage (this will open in a new window).
Please read the following information carefully.
In addition to the important information below, we have also provided the
step-by-step instructions for completing the form.
Completing the form
- Please read all the questions and ensure that you have completed all relevant parts of the application form.
- Please make a note of your case reference when you begin the application.
- You must provide a valid email address. Wychavon District Council will send all communication to you, including your licence via this email address.
- You will be able to save the form and return to complete it at a later time. Please see the step-by-step instructions page for more details.
- You must complete the declaration at the end of the application. Completing your name and ticking the signature box will constitute your agreement in the absence of a written signature.
- Once your form has been submitted, you will receive an email confirmation. You will not be able to make any changes to the online application once it has been submitted.
- Please use the Back and Next buttons if you need to move between sections. Do not use your browser back/forward buttons as these will take you out of the online application.
- All fields marked with an * are compulsory
- The licence fee is automatically calculated based on the information provided in your application.
- You will be able to submit your payment online as part of this application - you will be redirected to the Adelante payment page to make your payment.
Please note that it is a criminal offence to make a false statement in an application for an HMO licence or fail to comply with any condition of the licence.
Evidence of any statements made in this application with regard to the property concerned may be required at a later date.
If we subsequently discover something which is relevant and which you should have disclosed, or which has been incorrectly stated or described, your licence may be revoked or other action taken.
Operating a licensable HMO without a licence is an offence and subject to an unlimited fine. In addition, a Residential Property Tribunal may make a Rent Repayment Order, requiring you to repay any rents due during the period for which the property was unlicensed (up to a maximum of 12 months).
Data protection and retention
Under the Data Protection Act 2018, we only use the information you provide for the purpose of processing your application.
This includes the fulfilment of our requirement under the fit and proper person test.
Your personal data will be retained in accordance with our corporate retention schedule.
You will need to pay using a credit or debit card. All major cards are accepted. Please have your card details to hand before you proceed.
At the end of this application you will be required to upload the following documents, please have these ready before you proceed.
- Electrical Safety Certificate
- Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) (required unless your property is exempt from the legal requirement)
- Fire Risk Assessment
If you have the following documents they should also be supplied. If you do not have these and they are required based on the information given in your licence application, we will contact you to request them.
- Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) certificate (required for appliances over 12 months old)
- Gas Safety Certificate (required for properties with a gas supply)
- Fire Alarm Test Certificate
- Emergency Lighting Certificate